Burlington

Over break I went to Burlington with my family. On the way we played barns. Every time you see a barn, you shout, “Barn!” Each barn is a point. At the end, the person who has the most points wins. I won! When we got there we went to the Echo Aquarium. We made pins, watched the eel get fed, explored and found champ. If you find champ, you get binoculars. They fell apart. For lunch we went to Al’s Fries. I got a burger, French fries, and Dr. Pepper. After lunch we went to this cupcake place and got cupcakes. I got a mint chocolate one. Then we went to the mall. After that, we drove home. It was so fun!

How to Make Applesauce Cake

Get ready to make a delicious cake!  First, you prepare.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a square one-inch pan.  Second, in a large bowl, combine 1/3 of a cup of oil, one cup of sugar, and one egg.  Add one cup of applesauce.

Third, in a small bowl, whisk together one and one-third cups of flour, one teaspoon of salt, one teaspoon of baking soda, one teaspoon of cinnamon, and one teaspoon of clovers.

Add to the wet ingredients and stir together.

Last, pour the batter into the pan.  Bake for forty minutes.  Eat!  Yum!

The Milliner

A milliner was a clothing maker. They sold sewing items such as material and thread. They made hats, cloaks, aprons, dresses, and more. A milliner was typically a woman. They would import things from London, England. Milliners would use different tools in their work such as iron blocks, which are used to heat an iron. An iron was used to smooth out clothes. They used bread to remove stains. Milliners always wore the latest fashions so that people would buy them. Eighty to ninety percent of the price of a dress was the fabric. A milliner had a very important trade in colonial times.

My Ice Cube Keeper Engineering Challenge

abigail-ice-cube

Ice Cube Keeper Engineering Challenge

Ask: How long will a thermos keep an ice cube cold?

Next, we imagined what our ice cube keeper would look like, planned, and created it. How to make an awesome ice cube keeper for me would be that first, you freeze a thermos for at least two hours. Then take a plastic bowl. Take a little bit of tin foil and put it on the bottom so it curls up a bit Then put some tissues on the bottom. Lay the thermos on top. Take big pieces of tinfoil and wrap it around, leaving about a foot blank. Wrap the thermos in the foil (a small piece). Do not cover the bottom. Now cover the rest with the left over tinfoil from the wrapping of the outside. Measure an ice cube, and put it back in. Record how long it was in centimeters. Do this every hour and see how long it will last!

I predict that my ice cube will stay frozen for four and a half hours.

My table:

Time: Measurement: Observations:
10:02 4.5 cm The ice was very cold.
10:45 4.5 cm It was the same size.
12:01 4 cm It was wet.
1:04 3 cm It was melty.
1:30 2.5 cm It was still cold.
3:00 2 cm It was almost gone.

I might try this to keep my ice cube from melting as soon as it did. I would freeze my thermos longer.

My reflections: My ice cube keeper worked well because of my thermos. Next time, I would freeze my thermos longer. I thought everybody had good ideas. I really liked this project!

Lebanon Town History

The name of my town is Lebanon, NH.  The town was named this because there is a tree named Lebanon which was popular a long time ago.  My town began in 1761.  Here are some things I know about those early years in my town.  There were two major fires.  Now my town is 254 years old.

My family came to this town in December, 2009.  My family has lived in this town for almost five years.  I have seen these changes in my town while I have lived here.  A house was built next door.  DHMC made a new location on Heater Road.  Here are some ways I think my town might change in the next twenty years.  There might be a Target, a new restaurant, a new high school, and a Starbucks.

In Lebanon, NH, on May 10th, 1887, a major fire started.  It destroyed approximately eighty buildings.  After the fire, woolen factories replaced furniture factories in the city.  The second major fire started in an abandoned blacksmith shop on June 19th, 1964.  Mill Street burned completely.  The fire was deliberately set by Albert Healey (21) and a friend.  Albert Healey rolled up a rug and set it on fire.  Albert was in prison for eight years.  The total cost of the damage from the fire was approximately three million dollars.  After the fire, new pedestrian malls were built, along with new streets, bridges, and traffic systems.  Those fires changed Lebanon to what it is today!

1 2 3 4 5 8